To guide students in the pursuit of excellence through academic, physical, and creative achievement while exemplifying a commitment to integrity, trust, and responsibility. To encourage students to realize the joy of living through personal achievement and service to others, in preparation for higher learning and community life.
- CIS is one school, junior kindergarten through 12th grade, sharing a common mission that is implemented in an age-appropriate manner. While identifying with a grade level, division, or discipline, the faculty share a commitment to the entire school.
- CIS believes that learning is a life-long process and the best way to help students realize a passion for learning is for teaching and learning to be personalized. Our faculty is supported in this by a student load and teaching schedule that allows for a high level of individual attention.
- CIS curriculum is designed by the faculty, based on the skills and content that a graduate is expected to possess. It is integrated within departments and across divisions. It is designed to promote depth of understanding rather than a superficial acquaintance and students demonstrate mastery in a variety of ways.
- CIS values its students as individuals. Faculty engage students in multiple contexts (e.g., as teachers, advisors, coaches, etc.). Each student is known and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to our community.
- CIS is attentive to the emotional and physical health of our students. This includes creating an environment that is physically, intellectually, and morally safe.
- CIS consciously works to create a culture of integrity, trust, and responsibility.
- CIS and its families are engaged in a partnership to support the education of their students/children. Families actively support the school not only through volunteer activities, but by creating a climate at home that values education and supports the mission of the school.
- CIS appreciates the benefits of being an inclusive community and enables all members of the community to use their unique talents in support of our educational endeavor.
- CIS faculty model the life-long learning that it aspires to for our graduates. As an institution, CIS supports the faculty’s professional development both through fiscal resources and through time for collective planning and reflection.